|elfin cove history|
Fishing from Elfin Cove for Almost Ninety Years!
Elfin Cove has a rich and interesting history. The community was established as a fish buying location by Ernie Swanson in the late 1920's. Elfin Cove was originally called "Gunk Hole" which meant a quiet and safe harbor but was eventually renamed when the post office was established. The magical setting conjured a feeling of a home for elves.
Learn more about Elfin Cove history by clicking the read more link below or take a peek into the past by reading these Alaska Sportsmen magazine articles from the 40s, 50s, and 60s.
Elfin Cove history excerpts from a slide show written and compiled by Louise Mourant.
Ernie Swanson was a visionary who saw the need for a community in Elfin Cove. He witnessed the fish camps the natives established each season. The fish were here and all else could be built to support this industry. He recruited different people with skills needed to develop a healthy community.
Ernie had a large floathouse he used for his fox farm on
Three Hill island which he brought to the cove to live on while he was buying
salmon at whatís now called
Ernie came to
In 1942 Thelma (later to be Peterson) and Fred Folette (Louise Mourant's folks) came to the Cove for fishing. Bob and Louise Mourant came in 1957 to run the Oil Dock.
Rose and Hazel had a sewing bee on top of the
warehouse. Ruth Swanson had a bunch of
wine they got into. Bessie was all
dressed up (as usual). On her way home,
she fell off the boardwalk and got muddy. When she walked in the house,
Ruth Swanson had all the qualities Ernie needed in a woman. Ruth had been reared on the east coast with the advantages of the upper class but was considered an old maid for she was 30 yrs old and unmarried. Ruth was very tolerant of people and did well in the Cove. She arrived here the same year as Bessie and at that time they were the only two women around.A post office was established in 1935 with Ruth Swanson as Postmaster. She didnít want it called "Gunk Hole". One morning as Ruth was sitting having her morning coffee and looking at the head of the cove she commented to Ernie how mystical the morning was: "With all the mist in the trees you can almost see little Elves dancing about." He agreed and Ruth said we should call it the Elfin Cove post office and so the village got its name.